Jos Winnink is a visiting researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University in the Netherlands. His research focuses on the interaction between science and technology and their (co-) evolution. Primary focal point in this research is “knowledge flows between frontier science and breakthrough technologies”. In his PhD Thesis he focused on early-stage detection of breakthroughs in science using bibliometric information. On these subjects he published several (conference) papers. Given his history in the world of patents Jos has a special interest in patent information and and linking patent databases with other data sources to create multidimensional data infrastructures.
Journal publications (9)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2019). Searching for new breakthroughs in science: How effective are computerised detection algorithms? Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 146, 673-686. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., & Winnink, J.J. (2018). Capturing ‘R&D excellence’: Indicators, international statistics, and innovative universities. Scientometrics, 114(2), 687-699. (paper)
- Van Raan, A.F.J., & Winnink, J.J. (2018). Do younger Sleeping Beauties prefer a technological prince? Scientometrics, 114(2), 701-717. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., & Winnink, J.J. (2016). Twenty-first century macro-trends in the institutional fabric of science: Bibliometric monitoring and analysis. Scientometrics, 109(3), 2181-2194. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., Yegros, A., & Winnink, J.J. (2016). University–industry R&D linkage metrics: Validity and applicability in world university rankings. Scientometrics, 109(2), 677-696. (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2016). Theory-changing breakthroughs in science: the impact of research teamwork on scientific discoveries. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 67(5), 1210-1223. (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2015). Early stage identification of breakthroughs at the interface of science and technology: Lessons drawn from a landmark publication. Scientometrics, 102(1), 113-134. (paper)
- Van Dongen, P., Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2014). Academic inventions and patents in the Netherlands: A case study on business sector exploitation. World Patent Information, 38, 27-32. doi:10.1016/j.wpi.2014.03.002 (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2014). R&D dynamics and scientific breakthroughs in HIV/AIDS drugs development: The case of Integrase Inhibitors. Scientometrics, 101(1), 1-16. doi:10.1007/s11192-014-1330-7 (paper)
Conference publications (2)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2016). Breakout discoveries in science: What do they have in common? In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators (pp. 1069-1076).
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2011). R&D dynamics in the development of HIV/AIDS drugs. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics (pp. 855-860).