Ed Noyons, PhD
Everard Christiaan Marie Noyons is a senior researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) at Leiden University. Since January 2019, Ed is deputy director of CWTS responsible for projects.
Ed Noyons was born 10 June 1963 in Drunen (NL). He studied Dutch Language and Linguistics at the De Vooys Institute (University of Utrecht) and graduated in 1989 on Particles and Postpositions in Dutch.
Since 1988 he works at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS), Leiden University.
In 1999 Ed received his PhD (cum laude) in Quantitative Studies of Science on a thesis ‘bibliometric mapping as a science policy and research management tool’. In the same year he became a research fellow at CWTS. He has published and co-authored many papers in peer-review international journals, delivers key-note lectures in international conferences and has been program chair in several scientometric conferences.
Ed has developed and managed all mapping projects at CWTS for over ten years and presently, as a member of the Project Board, coordinates CWTS BV projects.
Since 2001, Ed is a member of the CWTS management team. In 2019, he was appointed as deputy director of CWTS responsible for projects.
Presently Ed’s main research interests involve structures, mapping of science and their use in science policy and research management, field delineation, and multi-dimensional, in particular societal impact of science.
Journal publications (29)
- Noyons, E.C.M. (2019). Measuring Societal Impact Is as Complex as ABC. Journal of Data and Information Science, 4(3), 6-21. (paper)
- Silva, F.S.V., Schulz, P.A., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2019). Co-authorship networks and research impact in large research facilities: benchmarking internal reports and bibliometric databases. Scientometrics, 118(1), 93-108. (paper)
- De Fonseca e Fonseca, B.P., Costa Albuquerque, P., Noyons, E.C.M., & Zicker, F. (2018). South-south collaboration on HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment research: when birds of a feather rarely flock together, e25. Globalization and Health, 14. (paper)
- Milanez, D.H., De Oliveira, B.S., Noyons, E.C.M., Lopes de Faria, L.I., & Botta, W.J. (2017). Assessing Collaboration and Knowledge Flow on Coatings of Metallic Glasses Obtained From Thermal Spraying Processes Using Bibliometrics and Science Mapping. Materials Research, 20(S1), 71-80. (paper)
- Milanez, D.H., Noyons, E.C.M., & Lopes de Faria, L.I. (2016). A delineating procedure to retrieve relevant publication data in research areas: the case of nanocellulose. Scientometrics, 107(2), 627-643. (paper)
- Noyons, E.C.M., & Wouters, P. (2016). Introduction to the special issue of research evaluation with invited papers of the 19th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators, 3-5 September 2014, Leiden, the Netherlands. Research Evaluation, 25(3), 233-234. (paper)
- Ocholla, D., Ingwersen, P., Noyons, E.C.M., & Glänzel, W. (2012). The 13th International Conference on and Informetrics. Scientometrics, 91(2), 315-316. doi:10.1007/s11192-011-0608-2 (paper)
- Waltman, L., Calero-Medina, C.M., Kosten, M.J.F., Noyons, E.C.M., Tijssen, R.J.W., Van Eck, N.J., Van Leeuwen, T.N., Van Raan, A.F.J., Visser, M.S., & Wouters, P. (2012). The Leiden Ranking 2011/2012: Data collection, indicators, and interpretation. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 63(12), 2419-2432. doi:10.1002/asi.22708 (paper)
- Buter, R.K., Noyons, E.C.M., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2011). Searching for converging research using field to field citations. Scientometrics, 86(2), 325-338. doi:10.1007/s11192-010-0246-0 (paper)
- Buter, R.K., Noyons, E.C.M., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2010). Identification of converging research areas using publication and citation data. Research Evaluation, 19(1), 19-27. doi:10.3152/095820210X492503 (paper)
- Van Eck, N.J., Waltman, L., Noyons, E.C.M., & Buter, R.K. (2010). Automatic term identification for bibliometric mapping. Scientometrics, 82(3), 581-596. doi:10.1007/s11192-010-0173-0 (paper)
- Waltman, L., Van Eck, N.J., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2010). A unified approach to mapping and clustering of bibliometric networks. Journal of Informetrics, 4(4), 629-635. doi:10.1016/j.joi.2010.07.002 (paper)
- Lopez-Illescas, C., Noyons, E.C.M., Visser, M.S., De Moya-Anegon, F., & Moed, H.F. (2009). Expansion of scientific journal categories using reference analysis: How can it be done and does it make a difference? Scientometrics, 79(3), 473-490. doi:10.1007/s11192-007-1975-6 (paper)
- Noyons, E.C.M., & Calero-Medina, C.M. (2009). Applying bibliometric mapping in a high level science policy context. Scientometrics, 79(2), 261-275. doi:10.1007/s11192-009-0417-z (paper)
- Calero-Medina, C.M., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2008). Combining mapping and citation network analysis for a better understanding of the scientific development: The case of the absorptive capacity field. Journal of Informetrics, 2(4), 272-279. doi:10.1016/j.joi.2008.09.005 (paper)
- Buter, R.K., Noyons, E.C.M., Van Mackelenbergh, M., & Laine, T. (2006). Combining concept maps and bibliometric maps: First explorations. Scientometrics, 66(2), 377-387.
- Calero-Medina, C.M., Buter, R.K., Valdes, C.C., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2006). How to identify research groups using publication analysis: an example in the field of nanotechnology. Scientometrics, 66(2), 365-376.
- Buter, R.K., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2001). Improving the functionality of interactive bibliometric science maps. Scientometrics, 51(1), 55-68.
- Noyons, E.C.M. (2001). Bibliometric mapping of science in a science policy context. Scientometrics, 50(1), 83-98.
- Moed, H.F., & Noyons, E.C.M. (2000). Verslag van de 6th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators. Tijdschrift voor Wetenschap, Technologie & Samenleving, 8(5), 194-195.
- Luwel, M.J.J., Noyons, E.C.M., & Moed, H.F. (1999). Bibliometric assessment of research performance in Flanders: Policy background and implications. R & D Management, 29(2), 133-141.
- Noyons, E.C.M., Luwel, M.J.J., & Moed, H.F. (1999). Combining mapping and citation analysis for evaluative bibliometric purposes. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 50(2), 115-131.
- Noyons, E.C.M., Moed, H.F., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (1999). Integrating research performance analysis and science mapping. Scientometrics, 46(5), 591-604.
- Noyons, E.C.M., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (1998). Advanced mapping of science and technology. Scientometrics, 41(1-2), 61-67.
- Noyons, E.C.M., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (1998). Monitoring scientific developments from a dynamic perpective. Self-organized structuring to map neural network research. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 49(1), 68-81.
- Noyons, E.C.M., Luwel, M.J.J., & Moed, H.F. (1998). Assessment of Flemish R&D in the field of information technology: a bibliometric evaluation based on publication and patent data, combined with OECD research input statistics. , 27(3), 285-300.
- Noyons, E.C.M. (1997). Landschappen van wetenschap. Afleiding, 1(2), 5-9.
- Nederhof, A.J., & Noyons, E.C.M. (1992). Assessment of the international standing of university departments research - A comparison of bibliometric methods. Scientometrics, 24(3), 393-404. doi:10.1007/BF02051037 (paper)
- Nederhof, A.J., & Noyons, E.C.M. (1992). International comparison of departments' research performance in the humanities. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 43(3), 249-256. (