Jos Winnink is a researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University in the Netherlands. His research focuses on the interaction of science and technology. His research topic Knowledge flows between frontier science and breakthrough technologies is one of the research lines of the Science, Technology, and Innovation Studies (STIS) group. In his PhD Thesis he focused on early stage detection of breakthroughs using bibliometric information. On these subjects he published several (conference) papers. Given his history in the world of patents Jos has a special interest in patent information and is within CWTS one of the experts on this subject. Currently Jos focus is on linking patent databases with other data sources to create multidimensional data infrastructures.
Journal publications (9)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2019). Searching for new breakthroughs in science: How effective are computerised detection algorithms? Technological Forecasting and Social Change. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., & Winnink, J.J. (2018). Capturing ?R&D excellence?: Indicators, international statistics, and innovative universities. Scientometrics, 114(2), 687-699. (paper)
- Van Raan, A.F.J., & Winnink, J.J. (2018). Do younger Sleeping Beauties prefer a technological prince? Scientometrics, 114(2), 701-717. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., & Winnink, J.J. (2016). Twenty-first century macro-trends in the institutional fabric of science: Bibliometric monitoring and analysis. Scientometrics, 109(3), 2181-2194. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., Yegros, A., & Winnink, J.J. (2016). University?industry R&D linkage metrics: Validity and applicability in world university rankings. Scientometrics, 109(2), 677-696. (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2016). Theory-changing breakthroughs in science: the impact of research teamwork on scientific discoveries. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 67(5), 1210-1223. doi:10.1002/asi.23505/full (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2015). Early stage identification of breakthroughs at the interface of science and technology: Lessons drawn from a landmark publication. Scientometrics, 102(1), 113-134. doi:10.1007/s11192-014-1451-z (paper)
- Van Dongen, P., Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2014). Academic inventions and patents in the Netherlands: A case study on business sector exploitation. World Patent Information, 38, 27-32. doi:10.1016/j.wpi.2014.03.002 (paper)
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2014). R&D dynamics and scientific breakthroughs in HIV/AIDS drugs development: The case of Integrase Inhibitors. Scientometrics, 101(1), 1-16. doi:10.1007/s11192-014-1330-7 (paper)
Conference publications (2)
- Winnink, J.J., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Van Raan, A.F.J. (2016). Breakout discoveries in science: What do they have in common? In Proceedings of the 21th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators (pp. 1069-1076).
- Winnink, J.J., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2011). R&D dynamics in the development of HIV/AIDS drugs. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics (pp. 855-860).