Vincent Traag, PhD
Vincent Traag is a researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University in the Netherlands. He obtained his Master in sociology (cum laude) from the University of Amsterdam (2008). Coming from a computer science background, and taking up mathematics during his studies in sociology, he went on to obtain a PhD in applied mathematics in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium (2013). After working as a postdoctoral research fellow on an e-Humanities project on elite networks at the KITLV, he joined the CWTS in 2015.
During his PhD Traag studied methods for detecting communities in complex networks. In addition, he applied this methodology in several fields across the (social) sciences, ranging from citation networks to international relations. One particular interest is the presence of negative links in networks, representing animosity or conflict. Such networks have the tendency to become organised in mutually antagonistic groups, and Traag analysed this from several perspectives.
More information can be found on his personal website.
Journal publications (7)
- Traag, V.A. (2015). Faster unfolding of communities: Speeding up the Louvain algorithm. Physical Review E, 92(3), 032801. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.92.032801.
- Traag, V.A., Aldecoa, R., & Delvenne, J.C. (2015). Detecting communities using asymptotical surprise. Physical Review E, 92(2), e022816. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.92.022816.
- Csaji, B.C., Browet, A., Traag, V.A., Delvenne, J.C., Huens, E., Van Dooren, P., Smoreda, Z., & Blondel, V.D. (2013). Exploring the mobility of mobile phone users. Physica A, 392(6), 1459-1473. doi:10.1016/j.physa.2012.11.040.
- Traag, V.A., Krings, G., & Van Dooren, P. (2013). Significant Scales in Community Structure, 3. Scientific Reports, 2930. doi:10.1038/srep02930.
- Bruggeman, J., Traag, V.A., & Uitermark, J. (2012). Detecting Communities through Network Data. American Sociological Review, 77(6), 1050-1063. doi:10.1177/0003122412463574.
- Traag, V.A., & Van Dooren, P. (2011). Narrow scope for resolution-limit-free community detection. Physical Review E, 84(1), 016114. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.84.016114.
- Traag, V.A., & Bruggeman, J. (2009). Community detection in networks with positive and negative links. Physical Review E, 80(3), 036115. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.80.036115.