Alfredo Yegros, PhD
Alfredo Yegros is a senior researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) of Leiden University in the Netherlands. He is a member of the Engagement & Inclusion focal area .
His research revolves around quantitative studies of science, technology and innovation. His specific research interests embrace, among others, public-private interactions and knowledge flows, science-technology linkages, and relationship between science/technology and innovation.
Alfredo Yegros also performs contract research through CWTS B.V., for a wide range of national and international clients. The participation in externally funded research projects is also one of his main areas of activity, including projects funded by the European Commission such as Identification of key technology domains project (KeyTech), Knowledge in the making in the European society (KnowMak), Research infrastructures for the assessment of science, technology and innovation policy (RISIS) and U-Multirank, as well as past projects like Nanodata or University-Industry Cooperation in Europe. Both, bibliometric and patent analyses, play a central role on his contribution to contracts and research projects.
Within Alfredo Yegros is also member of the CWTS project board (IPB), contributing to the management of research projects conducted by CWTS.
Alfredo Yegros has an MSc in Information Science (2002) – Universitat de València and Universitat Politècnica de València and he holds a PhD in Information Science, Universitat Politècnica de València (2012). Within the framework of his PhD he visited the Science and Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex.
Before joining CWTS, Alfredo worked during more than ten years at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), first at the Technology Transfer Office of CSIC in Valencia and then at the Institute for Innovation and Knowledge Management INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
Journal publications (14)
- Heimeriks, G., Deyu Lia, D., Lamers, W.S., Meijer, I., & Yegros, A. (2019). Scientific knowledge production in European regions: patterns of growth, diversity and complexity. European Planning Studies, 27(11), 2123-2143. (paper)
- Robinson-García, N., Sugimoto, C., Murray, D.S., Yegros, A., Larivière, V., & Costas, R. (2018). Scientific mobility indicators in practice: international mobility profiles at the country level. Profesional de la Informacion, 27(3), 511-520. (paper)
- Sugimoto, C., Robinson-García, N., Murray, D.S., Yegros, A., Costas, R., & Larivière, V. (2017). Scientists have most impact when they're free to move. Nature, 550(7674), 29-31. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., & Yegros, A. (2017). Brexit: UK universities and European industry (Correspondence). Nature: International Weekly Journal of Science, 544(7648), 35-35. (paper)
- Van Dongen, P., Yegros, A., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Claassen, E. (2017). The relationships between university IP regimes and scientists´ motivations and their engagement with research commercialisation in Europe. European Journal of Law and Technology, 8(2), 1-22. (paper)
- Tijssen, R.J.W., Yegros, A., & Winnink, J.J. (2016). University–industry R&D linkage metrics: Validity and applicability in world university rankings. Scientometrics, 109(2), 677-696. (paper)
- Yegros, A., Azagra-Caro, J.M., López-Ferrer, M., & Tijssen, R.J.W. (2016). Do university-industry co-publication outputs correspond with university funding from firms? Research Evaluation, 25(2), 136-150. (paper)
- Castro Martinez, E., & Yegros, A. (2013). Espacio e innovación: los sistemas de innovación como objeto de estudio. Información Estadística y Cartográfica de Andalucía, (3), 59-69.
- Martin, B.R., Nightingale, P., & Yegros, A. (2012). Science and technology studies: Exploring the knowledge base. , 41(7), 1182-1204. doi:10.1016/j.respol.2012.03.010 (paper)
- Yegros, A., Tur, E.M., & Amat, C.B. (2012). Number of authors and institutional collaboration in Spanish biomedical research papers. Evolution of the basic parameters in the period 1990-2009. Medicina Clinica, 138(4), 165-170. doi:10.1016/j.medcli.2011.02.006 (paper)
- Amat, C.B., & Yegros, A. (2009). Median age difference of references as indicator of information update of research groups: A case study in Spanish food research. Scientometrics, 78(3), 447-465. doi:10.1007/s11192-007-1993-4 (paper)
- Yegros, A., & Amat, C.B. (2009). Editorial delay of food research papers is influenced by authors' experience but not by country of origin of the manuscripts. Scientometrics, 81(2), 367-380. doi:10.1007/s11192-008-2164-y (paper)
- Azagra-Caro, J.M., Archontakis, F., & Yegros, A. (2007). In which regions do universities patent and publish more? Scientometrics, 70(2), 251-266. doi:10.1007/s11192-007-0202-9 (paper)
- Azagra-Caro, J.M., Yegros, A., & Archontakis, F. (2006). What do university patent routes indicate at regional level? Scientometrics, 66(1), 219-230. doi:10.1007/s11192-006-0015-2 (paper)
Conference publications (10)
- Van der Weijden, I.C.M., Yegros, A., Borges des Santos, F., & Lamers, W.S. (2018). Identification, dynamics and performance of mixed gender teams. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators. (paper)
- Van Leeuwen, T.N., Meijer, I., Yegros, A., & Costas, R. (2018). Developing indicators on Open Access by combining evidence from diverse data sources. Paris, France: Proceedings of the 2017 STI Conference. (paper)
- Yegros, A., & Van Leeuwen, T.N. (2018). Production and uptake of Open Access publications involving the private sector: the case of big pharma. In R. Costas, T. Franssen, & A. Yegros-Yegros (Eds.), Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators (pp. 958-966).
- Azagra-Caro, J.M., Tijssen, R.J.W., & Yegros, A. (2016). Measuring macro-level effects of the global economic recession on university-industry research cooperation. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators (pp. 213-221).
- Rushforth, A.D., Yegros, A., Mongeon, P., & Van Leeuwen, T.N. (2016). How does ‘undone science’ get funded? A bibliometric analysis linking Rare Diseases publications to national and European funding sources.
- Costas, R., & Yegros, A. (2013). Possibilities of funding acknowledgement analysis for the bibliometric study of research funding organizations: case study of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). In J. Gorraiz, E. Schiebel, C. Gumpenberger, M. Hörlesberger, & H.F. Moed (Eds.), Proceedings of the 14th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics (pp. 1401-1408).
- Llopis, O., D'Este, P., & Yegros, A. (2013). Conducting pro-social research: Cognitive diversity, research excellence and awareness of the social impact of research: EU-SPRI Forum Conference.
- Llopis, O., D'Este, P., & Yegros, A. (2013). Knowledge networks and knowledge creation among biomedical scientists . In Proceedings of the 2013 Sunbelt Conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis.
- Llopis, O., D'Este, P., & Yegros, A. (2013). Scientists’ social capital and knowledge creation: The case of translational research In biomedicine: EU-SPRI Forum Conference.
- Rafols, I., Yegros, A., & D'Este, P. (2012). The different facets of diversity: the case of 'Interdisciplinarities' and their contrasting effects on scientific impact: Annual meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S/EASST).