Prof. Dr. Laurens Hessels
Laurens Hessels is a professor by special appointment of the societal value of science. This chair was established on the initiative of the Rathenau Instituut and is also funded by the Rathenau Instituut. Hessels’ research focuses on the best way for researchers to work with practitioners (co-creation) so that their research is of maximum benefit to society. He also investigates how research and innovation can help tackle major societal problems. In addition, he contributes to the development of methods for improving the evaluation of the societal value of research.
He also works as senior researcher at the Rathenau Instituut, where he carries out research on science and innovation policies. Laurens completed his PhD in 2010 at Utrecht University with a study into how university researchers deal with the practical applications of their work. He has also worked as a researcher with KWR Watercycle Research Institute and as a policy advisor at the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
Journal publications (5)
- Bulten, E., Hessels, L.K., Hordijk, M., & Segrave, A.J. (2021). Conflicting roles of researchers in sustainability transitions: balancing action and reflection. Sustainability Science, 16, 1269-1283. (paper)
- Scholten, W., Franssen, T., van Drooge, L., De Rijcke, S., & Hessels, L.K. (2021). Funding for few, anticipation among all: effects of excellence funding on academic research groups. Science and Public Policy, 48(2), 265-275. (paper)
- Smit, J.P., & Hessels, L.K. (2021). The production of scientific and societal value in research evaluation: a review of societal impact assessment methods. Research Evaluation, 30(3), 323-335. (paper)
- Hessels, L.K., Mooren, C., & Bergsma, E. (2020). What can research organizations learn from their spin-off companies? : Six case studies in the water sector. Industry and Higher Education, 35, 188-200. (paper)
- Van Rijnsoever, F.J., & Hessels, L.K. (2020). How academic researchers select collaborative research projects: a choice experiment. Journal of Technology Transfer, 46, 1917-1948. (paper)